The fundamental purpose of a job interview is the chance for an employer to get to know you. The employer may ask a variety of questions based on experience, qualifications, skills and cultural fit. There is also another question that will almost certainly be asked, that is: “Do you have any questions for us?”
As interviews are generally employer-driven, a shift in conversation is a great opportunity for you to showcase your interest in the organisation and discover if the job is right for you. You can utilise your answer to this question to learn more about the job role, the employer and the organisation. It is also a fantastic opportunity to differentiate yourself from other candidates!
To be well prepared, you should consider asking a few questions depending on the type of job you are applying for. Here are some examples:
Questions to ask about the job role:
• “Can you describe a typical day in this position?” – This question may give you an insight into the daily tasks and responsibilities of the position.
• “Are there any opportunities available in this position to advance?” – You may discover growth opportunities in the position, and also express to the employer that you are a forward thinker.
Questions to ask about your potential employer:
• “How did you get into this position?” – This is a useful question to relate to the employer on a personal level and learn about their development and work history.
• “What have you enjoyed most about working here?” – This is a great question to gauge employee satisfaction with the organisation.
• “How would you describe the work culture here?” – This can be the chance to distinguish if the work environment is the right fit for you.
Questions to ask about the organisation:
• “What are the company values?” – Learning the company values will allow you to assess if they align your own values. They can also be a reflection of the company’s philosophy.
• “Where do you see the company in 10 years?” – This answer can shed light on the plans for growth and progress, while also displaying that you have thoroughly considered the company you are applying for.
If you are currently looking to land a job interview,
the I Want 2 WORK job portal is the perfect place to start.
Sign up and create your free profile today!